ME442 Plug-In ECUs
Factory Fit, ME442 Control
feature rich | accurate | reliable
The ME442 Plug-In ECU range offers all the features of the ME221 platform such as the convenience of using the factory harness and sensors, as well as real world basemaps, to give a quick, pain-free install, while still allowing upgrades such as MAF-less fuel control, turbocharging or throttle body installs to be carried out.
The ME442 upgrade builds upon the ME221 feature-set by incorporating our premier control system bringing with it in-built Bosch 4.2/4.9 Wide-band Control, SD Card Data-logging with battery-backed Real-Time Clock, Drive-by-Wire, Direct K-Type EGT Input, CAN-bus communications as well as a host of spare I/O and General Purpose custom tables.
Used by all the top MX-5 tuners both in the UK and abroad, as well as being the de-facto engine management system used by the world famous Flyin’ Miata.
- VE Based fuelling algorithm (MAF-less)
- CAN-Bus 2.0b
- Supports all OEM Sensors/Dash/AC etc
- Closed Loop Boost, Lambda & Idle Control
- Battery-Backed Real-Time Clock
- In-Built Bosch Wideband Controller
- Industry Leading High Speed Data-logging
- Switchable Maps
- E85/Flex-Fuel Support
- K-Type EGT Input
- VVT & DSP Windowed Knock Control
- Configurable I/O with Auxiliary Inputs/Outputs
- Advanced Motorsport Features
- Powerful Tuning Suite
- Powerful 180MHz RISC processor
- Installs into the OEM Casing
- 4 Bar On-Board MAP Sensor
- In-built Bosch Wideband Controller
- Onboard SD Logging
- 2.0b CAN-Bus
- USB Communications
- Direct Fit to OEM Harness
- Fault Diagnostics
- Extra I/O
- Drive-by-Wire Output
- 8x Coil and Injector Channels
- Direct K-Type EGT Input
- Battery-Backed Real-Time-Clock
Recommended by the Best!
Including BBR, Skuzzle and M-Tech in the UK, through to SPS in Europe and Flyin’ Miata in the US. The best in MX-5 tuning the world over use the ME221 ECU as their main ECU platform for the 89-05′ models.
INSTALL VIDEO GUIDES
OEM Idle Control
Utilising the OEM idle system, and OEM control process, means cold start, cranking, and warm-up load compensation can be tuned to be as good as, and in some cases better than the OEM control.
Because our Plug-In ECUs are designed on OEM cars, they offer true PnP install, utilising many of the factory sensors. They also retain OEM control of things like the factory dashboard, smart alternator control, VVT, Idle Air Control, Air-Conditioning and other functionality.
All models of the ME442 Plug-In range comes equipped with full closed loop VVT control. This can be VERY useful if you plan to retrofit a 2001+ MX5 VVT engine into a an earlier model chassis, as you can simply use one of the spare outputs to drive the VVT solenoid, as well as keep the later crank/cam sensors.
Wideband Lambda Built-In
The ME442 features a BOSCH LSU4.9 Wideband controller built in for accurate, fast measurement of exhaust gasses to determine the engine’s Air/Fuel Ratio. Coupled with closed loop control, the ECU will target the correct fueling, or, populate its Long Term Trim table to show errors and adjustments made automatically in real time to the VE table. Even better, when connected with MEITE you can use auto-tune and let the ECU help do the hard work of tuning the VE table to perfection.
The ME Core’s advanced knock control offers true DSP processed measurement of knock, with per-cylinder angular windowing to locate, and act upon signs of knock, ensuring engine safety and longevity. Fuel enrichment, ignition retard and user definable aggressiveness give maximum control.
Having rolling road facilities in-house means we are able to offer ME Certified basemaps for an array of different configurations. This means along with a straightforward physical install, you can be up and running in minutes – ready to shake the car down prior to professional tuning on a rolling road.
1st Class Support
It might be simple to install, and even easy to tune, but that doesn’t mean that help isn’t on hand when you need it. With a network of approved tuning shops across the UK & beyond, UK telephone support and an ever growing online community means you will never be left in the dark. The ME experience is more than just a box of electronics…
CAN-Communication means its now easy to expand your in-car electronics. From adding custom dashboards from any professional brand, though to allowing you to support OEM functionality, or add switch panels to allow selection of Maps or functions on the ECU – CAN allows a simple, 2-wire standard for ease of install and expand-ability.
Direct connect a K-Type thermo-couple to the ME442 to allow accurate measurement of Exhaust Gas Temperature. This allows safeties to be triggered on account of higher than expected EGTs, or, allowing fuel trimming to keep things in check while on the track.
SD Logging & RTC
Log directly to a high speed SD-Card! Impressive data rates as well as the inbuilt, battery-backed real-time clock means you can log an array of sensors and information for extended periods of time, then easily locate the required log from its unique and accurate date/time stamp.
VE Based Fuelling
Accurate, modern VE based modelling of the engine means faster to tune, and more accurate compensations for environmental changes as opposed to older pulse-width based management systems. Microsecond accuracy with fuel and ignition calculations carried out over 500 times a second means unparalleled transient response and consistent results.
Onboard 4-BAR MAP Sensor
The on-board MAP sensor allows quick and easy OEM MAF/AFM sensor removal – perfect for turbo/supercharger builds, and free horsepower on NA builds. Able to read to to 45psi of boost, it is suitable for almost any application. It uses a 3mm barb fitting, and we even include the vacuum hose so you can easily connect it to your inlet manifold.
Powerful Tuning Software
The Motorsport Electronics Integrated Tuning Environment, or MEITE, for short, is a powerful, flexible Windows tuning interface for working with our range of ECUs. Fully customizable layouts and interface, allowing the novice to play with just the basics (starting from one of our many base-maps), or the advanced tuner to really get under the hood, the options are there…
Powered by ME Core
Because all of our Plug-In range share the same core, it means the full feature set is available regardless of the model you choose – and this also means better familiarity with the system for tuners and installers. You can also upgrade ME221 based ECUs to full ME442 functionality at a later date as your project requirements grow.
Motorsport Aux Connector
The MAC allows you to expand beyond the factory connector – adding multiple high current, PWM-able low side drivers, extra digital inputs and multiple spare analogue inputs. Allowing you to do things such as switching maps, log extra sensor data, go COPs, add a second set of injectors, toggle switch enabling of launch control, anti lag, or directly control boost or nitrous valves.
Fully featured closed and open loop boost control means accurate manifold pressures and turbo waste-gate management – several dimensions of control including throttle, rpm and even gear based boost targets. Quicker spooling and stable boost means optimised torque can be delivered under all conditions.
Switchable maps, Launch Control, 2-Step Limiters, Water Injection, Flex Fuel & Anti-Lag are just a few of the advanced features of the ME core – all included, all unlocked. And with more features added over time via free, in-field firmware updates, the list is ever growing…
With general purpose tables and custom variables, you can combine inputs and effectors to create practically any bespoke function you may require, all from within the MEITE tuning software.
Worldwide Tuner Network
We have over 100 authorised tuners across the planet, and the list is constantly growing – meaning you’re never far away from a tuning professional who has experience of the ME platform and will therefor get the best from your engine. That being said, any competent rolling road tuner will be able to use the MEITE software to tune the VE and ignition tables, and we are always on hand for further support if required on the day. Want to know where to find them? See the map here.
- Advanced VE Fuel Model
- Sequential Fuel & Ignition
- Digital Crank/Cam Triggers, Array of OEM Patterns Supported
- Real-Time Switchable Fuel, Ignition & Boost Maps
- Individual Cylinder Trims
- Re-mappable Inputs/Outputs
- 16×16 Floating Point Fuel, Ignition, AFR, VVT, Boost Tables etc
- Multi-Dimensional Trims (IAT, CLT, VSS, DeltaError)
- Closed Loop/Open Loop Boost, Idle, VVT, Lambda
- Closed Loop VVT & simple V-Tec cam control
- Water-meth injection Control
- Flex-Fuel Support
- DSP Windowed Per-Cylinder Knock Control
- Motorsport Features such as Anti-Lag, Launch Control
- 6x General Purpose Tables (Create any function you can think of!)
- Long Term Trim and Auto-Tune
- 180MHZ 32-bit RISC Processor
- 5-28V Input
- Plug-In Systems supports all OEM sensors and features such as AC, Dashboard etc
- In-built 400Kpa (4 BAR/60psi) MAP sensor where no factory MAP is available
- Factory Connector, factory casing Re-used where possible for an OEM install
- Bosch LSU4/2/4.9 Direct Connection Port
- Auxiliary Connector Adds:
- 3x Spare Digital Inputs
- 3x Spare Analogue Input
- 6x Low Side Outputs
- 2x TTL Coil Channels
- CAN-Bus 2.0b Communications
- EGT K-Type Input
- Other OEM outputs/inputs such as Purge Valve can be re-purposed as “Boost Control” if required.
- SD Card Slot for On-board Logging
- Battery Backed Real-Time Clock
- 6 Axis Acceleromater and Gyro
- Drive-By-Wire 7.5A Controller
- Sequential COP support can be added easily using the Auxiliary connections
- USB Laptop Communication for real-time tuning.
All Plug-In systems have an array of basemaps to help with start-up and engine pre-mapping testing.
- Configurable Load/RPM BINS 16×16, 32 bit floating point Tables
- Multiple Fuel Tables
- Injection Angle
- Priming Pulse Settings and Crank Pulse Settings
- Cranking Enrichment
- After-Start Enrichment and ASE Time Decay
- Warm-Up Enrichment
- Acceleration Enrichement TPS/MAP based with Coolant Modifier
- IAT Correction Table
- Idle Trims
- 16×16 AFR Target Table factored into VE Equation
- Speed-Density/Alpha-N with optional Blending
- Injector Voltage Offset Table
- Overrun Fuel Cut
- Closed Loop Wideband/Narrowband Lambda control
- Flex-Fuel secondary tables
- 16×16 32bit Table
- Closed Loop DSP Windowed Knock Control On-board
- Battery Voltage Dwell Correction 16×16 Table
- Individual Cylinder Trimming
- IAT and Coolant Trim
- Spark-Scatter Ignition Idle Control
- Flex-Fuel Control
- Switchable Ignition Tables
- VR/Hall/Opto Inputs as required
- Auto-scaling, Parametric Noise Rejection
- Range of OEM Patterns Supported
- PWM based Closed/Open/Manual Diagnostic Modes
- Cranking/Return to idle Settings reference Open-Loop table for wide-control
- DBW Idle Control *where DBW is used
- AC/Fan Auto-Idle Up Settings
- PID Based for Accuracy
- Fuel Modifiers
- Ignition Spark Scatter
- Jacked-Throttle Miss-Bang Idle Mode (Group-N ALS)
- DSP Angular Windowed Knock Control
- Settable Gains, Offset and Window Duration
- Step Retard and Fail-Safe
- Closed/Open Loop Boost Control by 16×16 RPM and Throttle table
- Switchable Boost Tables
- Over-Boost Protection
- Pre-Start Duties
- Anti-Lag Group-N
Variable Valve Timing
- Fully Closed Loop PWM (Throttle X RPM table)
- Locked Angle or Locked Duty testing modes
- Basic On/Off Mode (Honda V-Tec)
- Supported patterns include MX5 2001-2005 and Ford ST170, Ford Puma 1.7
- PID Tuning with Oil Temperature triggering & safeties
- Programmable Rest State & Offset compensation
General Purpose Tables
- 6x General Purpose Tables
- Custom Variables and Outputs
- Modify Fuel, Ignition, Boost and Idle strategies from the GPTs
- 3D and 2D tables with ability to “chain” tables together for create complex functions
- USB for ECU mapping/communication
Drive-by-Wire (some models as required)
- Closed loop, dual redundant DBW
- DBW Idle Control functions
- Software and Hardware fail-safes
- 180Mhz 32-bit RISC Processor
- Ignition Accuracy to 0.01 degrees, Fuelling to 0.001mS
- 32-bit maths and tables (Table entries can have 8 decimal places for very high resolution)
- ADCs/Analogue data reported to 16-bit accuracy
- 20,000+ RPM
- Configurable “HRT”‘s for every analogue channel – use any sensor. Basemaps pre-set for factory sensors.
- Wide-band O2 from onboatd Bosch Controller
- K-Type EGT Input
- TPS, IAT, CLT, MAP, Lambda standard inputs
- Spare/unused analogue lines can be used for general purpose tables
- 60psi On-board MAP sensor for most versions – MAF removal made easy
Environmental & Physical
- Automotive -20 – 85*C
- Voltage 5.5-28V
- Operating Current Approx 120mA @ 13v
- Electrically isolated and protected inputs/outputs
- Connector is identical to OEM
- OEM casing used for a factory install where possible
Tuning Software (MEITE)
- Everything real-time adjustable
- Diagnostics and analysis functionality
- Custom layouts, tabs and functions
- In-built firmware update tool for ease-of-use
- Custom “part calibration” import – use settings from other maps in a current map
- Offline Editing of calibrations
- Real-time tracing
- Data-logging of all variables and Auto-Tune